Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Things checked off in London since Ma has been here:

St Paul’s Cathedral - very impressive and managed to hear the choir etc, but not really overwhelmed after Chapel three times a week for 7 years!

Thames cruise - 50 minutes was about right, commentary good, and weather perfect.

London Bus Tour - good way to get about the place, weather perfect. The 'hosts' ranged from a tad dull, to wildly enthusiastic - but the last one was so thick it hurt (even Mum agreed I wasn't being harsh).

The London Eye - you must be joking, didn't go near the thing. As close as it gets to purgatory on Earth if you ask me.

'Whistle down the Wind' - bloody good value (shifty bottle of Port for a side door entry) and enjoyable show. Good music and very strong female lead. Felt a bit clever having a brew with one of 'the stars' afterwards - all added to the occasion.

The Tower of London - the woman warned us that we only had an hour and a half before it closed and that the full tour took three hours. Um, bollocks to that. Ma and I knocked it of in 45 minutes. The old stuff is all well and good - but I don't need to look at a sword for 5 minutes listening to some bloke describe it to ascertain that it was in used in order to give your foe as bad a day as possible.

The Princess Di Memorial - grass, water, people - done.

Kensington Palace - old, large and as you would expect really. Not quite as grand and opulent as I thought it might be - but it was cool to see the bed that old Vic was in when she was informed of her accession.

"Billy Elliot" - brilliant. MJD - even you would have enjoyed it (and that is saying something!).

So that is a few days in London with Mum cracking the whip. It has been good having someone to drag me by the ear to see these things, it certainly made me realise how lazy I have been since I have been here.

Next weekend is a trip to France; apparently it is holiday time and the Frogs are out - so I thought that this was an ideal time to go there and soak up some of the atmosphere (in the absence of the hosts)!

Will have some pics to post soon.