Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Bob the Builder

Bob Clarkson beat Winston in Tuaranga, all the while refusing to go head to head with him in public debates. I don't know why he was so backward in coming forwards - the guy is bloody funny by the sounds of things. His maiden speech to Parliament is here and is well worth a read, the money quote has to be:
When I was 30 I got married. I was married for 11 years. I have two lovely daughters Caprice and Megan. After 11 years I asked my wife what she wanted for Christmas and she said a divorce. I said I wasn’t thinking of something quite so expensive.
On a slightly more serious note, he is a self made millionaire and good old fashioned bloke and will make a refreshingly non-academic contribution to policy making (given the chance). Bob the builder on housing:
I want State house tenants to be given the option to buy the house they occupy. The money recovered from these sales can build more houses for people who need them. For example young married couples.

I see 6000 affordable houses a year being built and sold by state housing. This will solve the housing problem faced by young people today. It will cost the government nothing. It will save taxpayers the high cost of running state houses.
Sounds like good sense to me - at least worthy of consideration.

But if he acheives nothing else - I will always like him - he beat Winston!