Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Section 59

So it looks like Section 59 - 'Crimes (Abolition of Force as a Justification for Child Discipline) Amendment Bill' - is going to pass third reading and become law. I think it is a well intended Bill that might help send a message that child abuse is plain wrong - although the Bill itself is a slightly over the top intrusion.

Personally - I wouldn't have supported it - but that matters little. One thing that did get me thinking was around the implementation. What will happen the day before the law comes into force??? Will parents go round giving their kids one final whack?!?!
'Right, ten more minutes - come here son'. WHACK!

There will be kids everywhere saying, 'OOOwwww!! Just you wait you bastard, on the stroke of midnight I am going to piss in your slippers!'
I suppose I shouldn't make light of such a serious topic - but passing a law that could (but in reality won't) impact on 95% of parents, and have precisely zero impact on those it is suppose to target is a bit capricious if you ask me.