Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Public Health

The Health Secretary here, Patricia Hewitt, is taking a thrashing in the media for one of the most spectacularly guileless statements I have heard in politics for years. She said:
The health sector is enjoying it's best year in decades.
Ahem... That is if 7,000 job cuts, hospital closures and budget blow outs flake your pastry... But even if it does - you don't bloody say it - do you! It was a Nurses conference to boot - nice.

Sorting out public health would be the ultimate challenge for this geek. If I won lotto I would take a couple of years out, pay for some intellegent types to help, and give it a bash. But hey - that's just the wild a crazy kinda guy I am.

A recent post, and subsequent comments, from Jordan and co over at Just Left will be tonights tube reading. Looks interesting at a glance. Public Health is a nightmare around the world - but a long term, cross party policy, would seem to be the logical place to start if you ask me.