Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Well that wasn't so bad - at all!

After winding myself up something stupid - yesterday was a piece of cake. I found the place fine (this in itself is no mean feat) and gingerly made my way in. It was just like checking into The Heritage - right down to the Porter in tails.

Up we went to the day surgery ward - no lugubrious nearly deads lying prostrate in open wards here I am happy to report. No, it was into my suite (with ensuite complete with bidet - only the French...), radio and telly with all Sky Sports Channels. You get the idea. However I was still far from relaxed.

This was evidenced by the first blood pressure and heart rate reading. The machine beeped more than the bloody Road Runner - the initial heart rate was 211. 'Is that bad?' I queried earnestly. 'Is the miles or kilometers?' I added quite brilliantly. Luckily amidst that hospital humour and universal hilarity - I managed to stop the heart beating like a tomtom.

A rather pusillanimous [it is a word; look it up - Ed] hour and a bit waiting for the off. Around one it was show time - up to the theatre ward and into the anaesthesia room. I was lying there, generally unimpressed with the lack of drugs. Sod this I thought, so I

[we rejoin you, dear readers, at around 1530hrs that same day - Ed]

As I was saying, the drugs were great - didn't feel a thing (a sensation that I regret to report has corrected itself completely). The cast is brilliant (small), the sling easy to take off!

The doc said it went well - and the best news is that there are no plates in me, never did fancy that. In the Docs words (this guy was very staid) - 'I had a look around and thought I would do a full thumb reconstruction instead'. Well fill your boots mate, and ta very much!

Downstairs and back to the room, a few hours of sky sports and dinner and the wonderful K came to collect me. All in all a pleasure - the downside is to come over the next few weeks - but needs must. Pleased to have gotten onto it so swiftly (18 months ain't too bad).

Next post will be a list of things that piss me off having to do one handed - typing tops the list, and I'll wager will not be bettered!