Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Bang On

I have just watched an interview with a Republican ex Governor in the States which reminded of a post I wrote on ‘My Right’ in 2004. This guy talked about wanting to shift from ‘horizontal’ to ‘vertical’ politics.

It was absolutely spot on. We need to stop thinking, and making political judgements, in terms of (the ghastly) ‘left’ and ‘right’ and start thinking of whether this is going to ‘lift me up’ or ‘drag me down’.

That sums up my position perfectly. Policy by policy, evaluated on its merits and potential to improve things for everyone. Leave your partisan pre-dispositions at the door. This was the post from 2004:


Monday, November 29, 2004

Musings

My Right was in Wellington recently and had dinner with a close and respected colleague. Conversation quickly moved off work and into broader interests. Blogging is a personal habit for My Right, this conversation illustrated why. It also crystallised My Right's frustrations with political interpretation and perception.

The colleague in question has always held My Right in high regard. Perceived as a caring and empathetic individual and in genial company, My Right was talking openly. When the topic of blogging came up, My Right was asked what his "angle" was - to which he answered - "if I had to label it, typically, but certainly not exclusively, right". There was shock and dismay in equal measure.

The shock was based on said colleagues underlying belief that My Right was well intentioned, generous and compassionate. Somehow being 'right' changed that - WHY??

The dismay was simply due to the colleagues inherent belief that ‘right’ was all about “the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer (copyright, My Right most excruciating cliché dept 2004). Being ‘left’ is a much more virtuous path to follow was the logical extrapolation of this view.

There it was - in one exchange – clarity.

Political leanings make up a fraction of the individual. For My Right being 'right' or 'left' is not about morality, principles, or desired outcomes, it is about process.

To My Right’s mind - morality should drive policy, pragmatism should drive delivery. More often than not, My Right believes that 'rightist' solutions deliver the most desirable outcomes for the largest numbers of people at all levels off society. Does that somehow intimate my moral disposition?

Further - I acknowledge and accept that it is time for many on 'the right' to get over some of their lordly world views. At the same time many on 'the left' need to relax some of their sanctimonious reverence. Too often people adopt a preordained position on every issue dependant purely on whether it is perceived to be ‘the left’ or ‘the right’ standpoint – facile is a word that comes to mind. (If George Bush wanted world peace, Keith Locke would oppose it.)

In an environment where Labour and National are getting closer and closer policy wise and the battle is for 'the centre' ground, it seems that a few fringe issues where differentiation is easy take a disproportionate percentage of the landscape. When it comes to core policy - the spin factor has taken over to an alarming degree simply to assure voters the Labour is ‘left’ and National ‘right’.

An old colleague of My Right's was adamant in the early days of MMP that the most natural coalition was between National and Labour. Doctor Evil once said - "we're not so different you and I". I think they both had a point. If the notion of ‘left’ and ‘right’ fell out of the common vernacular, My Right would be the first to bid it farewell.

(Message to self – blog title is dripping with hypocrisy in light of recent posting)

(Ed – noted)

// posted by Frit @ Monday, November 29, 2004