Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Withnail and me

I love this place! Walking down Oxford St with Kathryn I found that there were to many sights to take in that I was in overloaded, so I left it to my ears...

Not a 'normal' sound to be heard - just the wildest array of acccents, attitudes and outlooks that you can imagine - all proferred with a disconcerting candor that beggared belief. That was until I realised that I was in a place large enough that you were never going to meet the person that overheard you - and if you did - who cared??

London (amongst the chaos) , inherantly, unknowingly, delivers a sense of ease. It is a place where no matter what you do - it will never be no more unusual than what has gone before. There is no stereopical 'Londoner'.

One of the great lines from "Withnail and I" was - "I've got to get out - I feel unusual". To be honest - the you can't feel unusual in London, because here, there is no usual, there is no normal. And it's great.