Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Friday, May 20, 2005

Hurricane Mum

I had a call from Mr Whitney yesterday telling me that the Hurricanes v Crusaders semi was on today and that there was a replay at the Walkabout Pub at 6pm tonight (Friday). Bloody good I thought, a few beers with a good kiwi mate and some code, excellent, plans made and tension building nicely. Go the 'Canes.

No looking at NZ websites today I reminded myself as I set off down to the shop to pick up some kitchen type provisions. Whilst at the shop, the phone rang, and low and behold it was Mum! I had been a touch tardy in supplying my cell phone number, so it was the first time I had talked to her. Email is great, but is so nice to hear familiar voices when you are on the other side of the planet.

"Hi love" came an excited and familiar voice. "Hi Mum! How are you" I replied, not thinking about the days plans - just happy to be talking to Mum.

"Thinks are good darling, it is twenty past ten here, and the bad news is the Hurricanes have just been absolutely thrashed by the Crusaders".

What I have just relayed to you is the first time my dear mother has EVER informed me of a rugby score in my life!!! In all likelihood it will be the last time she fills me in on a rugby score, given that she reads this. Don't worry Ma, not the end of the world! (Message to self - Lions tests are to be watched live). ['message to self' - dear god, that's the madness starting then - Ed]

Elliot has called once and sent one text message to ensure that I have not checked the score. At least I wasn't lying when I said, "No mate, I've not checked it - see you at 5".