Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

No longer 'nowhere man'

The strangest thing about my first couple of months here was not knowing a soul (with literally a handful of exceptions). I could just mosey about the place basking in complete anonymity. In short, it is very easy not to give a toss when you can be sure that no one gives a toss about you!

It also made me realise how horribly uptight I was back home. Worrying about what others thought of me, and being more than a touch judgmental when it came to said others. And to think that was in that bastion of conservative chic – Parnell! Your threshold for being shocked is greatly altered by a month walking the streets of Camden town!

But that changed a little on the bus this morning when a wave of familiarity washed over me. With my new found 'routine' I started to recognise the same faces on the bus, hell I even smiled at one of the regulars.

There was the tall skinny guy that should realise that a dodgy moustache will only ever be a pipe dream for him. Lose the fluff mate.

Then there came late girl - always flustered but unusually apologetic and polite. How she does her make up standing up on a double decker bus remains a mystery.

Things got eerie when I suddenly felt cold. I turned around, standing right behind me was a face I didn't recognise - undressing me with her eyes girl. There she stood, shamelessly tearing at every thread with her rampant imagination. Oh well, I guess she is new, still basking in her complete anonymity.