Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Don't use a Freud to do a Joseph's job

I am sure it must be related to being stressed at work (implementing a new payroll system for a couple of thousand temps with no time for full testing fits that bill nicely) - but a few of my 'favourite' recurring dreams have stopped by over the past couple of weeks. All fairly standard, lost and unable to get to work, stuck to the spot (sometimes unable to throw a punch to defend myself), paniced on the morning of an exam at Vic - all classic anxiety dreams really.

But the losing wallet special that I had last night was particularly intense. Without having the resources of an ancient Pharoah in a Lloyd Webber musical - I decided to have a quick google on recurring dreams. It turns out that these are fairly normal and represent anything from 'a natural outlet for stress' - to 'often indirectly warning us about current behavior patterns or psychological imbalances that we need to remedy if we don’t want such unpleasant dreams to repeat, or worsen'.

Hhhmm, as a commited practitioner of denial I thought it was best to stop digging! But not before I came across this little barb from Sigmund;
Since dream anxiety is intimately related to neurotic anxiety is must explain the first by reference to the second. In a short publication on anxiety neurosis . . . I argued that neurotic anxiety derives from sexual life, and is the expression of unsatisfied desire which has been diverted from its goal. This formula has since then been proven valid. It enables us now to say that the sexual content of anxiety dreams is the result of transformation of sexual desire.
Now to create a link between a lost wallet and 'sexual content' is a stretch (on occassion I have lost the contents of my wallet in the pursuit of some 'sexual content' - but never the wallet itself), the Freudian advice, as ever, seems to be that shagging is the cure of all ills.

Well Mr Freud, dodgy, dirty, seedy, pants pulled up, nipples erect, all excited, busy handed, ready to go, bastard that you may have been - your advice has been noted!!