Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Not proud

It's been a while since the bombings here and it is fair to say that, logistically at least, things are pretty much back to normal. It's the subtle things that have changed and today I found myself guilty of something I was not particularly proud of.

Getting off the tube from the Northern line heading towards the Piccadilly line; I was walking behind a fully decked out Middle Eastern chap with a fairly hefty back pack. 'Way out' left, 'Piccadilly line' straight on - my inner voice said, 'your's is the left turn pal'. On the basis that he was fully kitted out in his national garb. Never mind the fact that I was wearing the Enron approved kit of the capatilist bastard that is trying to rip you off via 'legitimate business means' - I'm a good guy.

I am sure I am not the first to think that, in fact I know I'm not. The Police are obviously thinking along the same lines. Mohammed, one of my Network Engineers has been stopped and had his bag searched no less than four times in the last month. And he is starting to get pissed off.

Which begs the question - racial profiling - right or wrong? Discrimination and victimisation, or practical policing?

Racial profiling is essentially picking out those that fit the profile of those you expect to commit a crime - and paying them particularly close attention. Is that fair? An extreme minority of a particular racial group has committed some crimes, more importantly, they have declared their intention to do it again - so what useful purpose is served by the Police searching a little old lady?

More to follow on this when I get some time - but you can probably tell by the amount of question marks in this post that I am swinging a bit on this one.

One thing is certain, I feel sorry for Mo (hammed) and all others like him that are going about their business and feeling harrassed. The bastards that did this have bought misery to many they intended to, and plenty of their own as well. Do they care? I doubt it - fundamentalist = wanker.