Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Monday, August 29, 2005

The text of Kapa o Pango

It sounds like 'the new haka', Kapa o Pango, has caused quite a stir back home. Also rompting a debatge as to whether or not it should replace the traditional Ka Mate. I don't have strong feelings either way really. I'm typically a traditionalist - but the text of Ka Mate isn't particularly relevant - and a bit of thought has obviously gone into Kapa.

Either way, like your best black leather tie in the eighties, it seems that this one will only be pulled out for 'special occasions'.

Kapa o Pango

KIA WHAKAWHENUA AU I AHAU!
Let me become one with the land

HI AUE, HI!!
KO AOTEAROA E NGUNGURU NEI!
This is our land that rumbles

AU, AU, AUE HA!
And it's my time! It's my moment!

KO KAPA O PANGO E NGUNGURU NEI !
This defines us as the All Blacks

AU, AU, AUE HA!
It's my time! It's my moment!

I AHAHA!
KA TU TE IHIIHI
Our dominance

KA TU TE WANAWANA
Our supremacy will triumph

KI RUNGA KI TE RANGI E TU IHO NEI, TU IHO NEI, HI!
And will be placed on high

PONGA RA!
Silver fern!

KAPA O PANGO, AUE HI!
All Blacks!

PONGA RA!
Silver fern!

KAPA O PANGO, AUE HI, HA!
All Blacks!