Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Friday, September 23, 2005

Questions (and answers)

I received the following correspondence this morning:
Hey

I have two questions for you.....

Where does Frit come from? And how old are you?
I get the Frit question quite often - and people are quite happy to assume my age (and get it very wrong!) far too often. So I answer both questions publicly here:

Frit is the result of my first fling. My first girlfriend was completely unable to pronounce Christopher, the closest she got was Frit. And before people start thinking I resorted to dating people of dubious mental capacity - we were both 2 years old at the time. The name stuck around a lot longer than she did. We parted amicably after around 8 months from memory.

With family (and those close enough to be considered family), I am pretty much exclusively Frit - but it has never been picked up by others. Ever since school people tend to call me Hornsby, it has even started happening over here. At work Dad would answer the phone, "Afternoon, Hornsby". Workwise I find myself thinking - 'what would Dad do?' often, so whilst I will no presume to take up Dad's salutation just yet, if people want to call me by my surname - fine by me.

As for my age, ouch! I have often joked that I am not actually getting older - I am simply getting nearer to the age that people think I am. Popular opinion has had me at 33 for the last 3 or 4 years. At the moment, the average rude bastard is out by four years!