Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The best of an unpleasant reality

When I first moved to Auckland I became accustomed to taking on the odd dirty green (read - very amber) traffic light. What constantly amazed me was thinking I was being dodgy - and then checking the rear vision for the bill, only to find another three cars had gone through the lights after me.

I got the same feeling on the tube tonight. Massive delays on the Northern Line, crammed platforms, ansi people. Top way to finish the day that.

A tube finally arrived, people battled to get off, people battled harder to get on. I left my dash late (so I thought) and literally banged my way on at the last minute. Then, I swear, I felt like a hooker in an All Black pack. And when the shove goes on, there is no holding your ground.

I think I am getting used to London. Nowadays, I tend to sight something blonde, circa 3 feet away, shortly after the shove comes the 'involuntarily collision', swiftly followed by introduction, by way of the genuine apology.

It's about making every situation work for you really...