Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Things move quickly in the 'virtual' world - but what to fear of an earthly connection?

It appears that my initial plan to spin the 'girl blog'/'boy blog' thing for as long as 'humanly possible', [I am sure you mean 'editorially justifiable' - Ed] might have hit the online version of black ice (In a good way - I think...) . Girl has responded to my post on her blog:
"I have often thought that I would hate for anybody that I wanted to 'date' to read my blog.....as I think this blog is probably me at my best and also me at my worst and its certainly me at my most open."
I'm with you there, my blog was always intended for family - but seems to have found a wider audience. That said, I do try to avoid sanitising what I write, despite knowing that people I don't know from a bar of Dove are reading Kiwilog.

But to think that a 'stranger' (at least Girl was initially), that I might actually meet up with, has access to a great many of my thoughts of the last 5 months, that changes things. Moving on to Girls next thoughts:
"But - maybe thats not the case at all - maybe this blog would be a good veto - to see the kind of guy that could handle my personality - and my openness."
Well, you've said a lot more in emails - and I'm still in the game!

The last paragraph of her recent post was the one that got me:
"Point is - and there is a point --- right before I left for London a friend of mine from home sent me a link to a NZ guys blog that had just moved to London. Now - I do kind of know this guy (I am sure we have met - but thats about as vague as my memories are). Anyway - I started reading his blog almost daily. The more I read - the more I liked. Making a long story short (extremely short) - we have recently started talking about meeting.....and to be honest - I am quite excited about it.

More to follow......."
A couple of points.

When Girl said, 'The more I read - the more I liked' - I was duly concerned. Apart from showing that Girl is willing to entertain meeting someone that is capable of not just thinking, but publicly airing, the sorts of thoughts that have made up Kiwilog over the months intrigues me (as much as it scares me!). Not only that, anyone that is willing to fly in the face of customary written English standards and throw a hyphen in the middle of a simple sentence, is someone I think I could get on with - as almost all of my previous posts will demonstrate.

A final thought, and this is the clincher, is the statement; 'I am quite excited about it'. Queue - a like excitement - coupled with insecurity, doubt. What if I am not as attractive as Kiwilog (let's face it, despite conventional wisdom; the Green and Orange headers just work)? What if I am not 'likable' in person? It is much harder to proof read a real life conversation. Most frighteningly - what if we meet and don't get on? Now that could be great for you guys - an online cage fight - with no referee! He said this, she said that - I fear to think how far that could go...

So here I am, or more 'quaintly', her we all are. Not just me and Girl, but the lot of you. A few emails aside - you know as much as I do! Is that wrong or just a weird characteristic life in the 21st?

Who knows - but as Girl said, 'more to follow...'.

More indeed.