Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Pub Quiz Ignominy

I had dinner and drinks with Mands and K and a few others at Chez Albert last night - right nice - and I hadn't seen Mands for ages, so it was very cool to catch up. All was going swimmingly until the evenings entertainment got underway.

I am not really the overly competitive type, in fact, strike that - yes I am! I would sooner not play than come second. In fact I can only think of one circumstance where one is encouraged to come second... Suffice it to say - I hate losing. It was pub quiz time.

I was rolling along nicely, I never cared much for geography, but outside of that I was laughing. "Section five - Sports Trivia." Sleeves rolled up, fixed concentration penetrating the smugness that was slapped all over my chevy chase - bring it on! Then disaster struck:
Q: 'Name the England footballer that retired in 1990 after 125 consecutive caps?'

Frit: "Um, not Bryan Robson - bingo - it's Peter Shilton" - followed by various cries of 'how the hell do you know that?' (At this stage I was thinking sod 'fixed concentration' - I look better wearing 'smug'!)

Next Q: 'Name the New Zealand sporting captain that was knighted that same year?'

Frit: "Paddles - had to be, no wait, hang on, was he the captain? Glenn Turner was the captain around then... no it must be him. Wait! The bastards! It's a trick question - it's Sir Brian Lachore!"

Um, wrong...
Sir Brian Lachore!?!?!?!? For the love of Christchurch! Frit - you're a dick. A trick question about a NZ sporting captain in a British pub quiz - yup - that sounds plausible!? Frit, you really are a prize winning dick!

We lost by half a point - f*&k it!