Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Counting down

I am now getting officially excited about coming home, but as I mentioned - still feeling a strange sense of calm about the whole trip. It makes me realise what a big girls blouse I was when I was gearing up to leave. It was understandable to be nervous I suppose - but there is definitely no nervousness about the trip back - just huge vibrancy and verve.

I am not a big shopper typically - but have spent today happily shedding a couple of hundred quid on the kids Christmas prizes. There was never any question about what I was going to get the boys, the girls were a little harder - but I got there.

It scares me to think how much they will have changed when I get back. Message to all tykes - 'you'd better bloody recognise Uncle Frit when he gets back!' Nickster and MJD - if you could pass that on to said Jnr's I would appreciate it.

Have just rung and confirmed flights - way hay! Leave work for Heathrow at 5pm Monday and hit Auckers at midday Tuesday (UPDATE it's midday Wednesday! Thx K) with Mum to meet me at the airport - perfect! I remember leaving Mum at the airport vividly, thinking there would be tears - there were'nt (I was too busy packing myself!).

I'm sure there will be tears when I get back. Being 12000 miles away from home, sharing the darkness with a bottle of red, waiting for a phone call from MJD, as your Mum lies in a coma, is pure purgatory. Even though Mum has bounced back brilliantly, the anticipation of the elation and comfort I'll feel when I actually see her will make the 24 hour flight seem to fly by [copyright Kiwilog dreadful puns dept; 2005].

Saturday night and all is well (even Newcastle are 1-0 up!).

UPDATE - naturally Newcastle couldn't hold on, 1 - 1 the final score, but still feeling happy.