Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Not enough to win my vote - yet....

If the Maori party keep making sense like this - stranger things have happened... From Turia's speech to the Act Party Conference (weird in itself) comes this gem:
I have come to recognise that what is actually happening is that the “new” policy solution is a remedy for the mistakes of the “old” policy solution, which in its time was the “new” policy solution and so on it goes.

I will not dwell on the negative social indices of my people suffice to say that only we can change them and the Maori Party is committed to that end.

We are the ones who can liberate ourselves from the situation we find ourselves in. We are capable of unleashing the potential that lies within our people, be they individual or collective.
Tariana does have the ability to polarise any audience, the holocaust rant being case in point, but sometimes she is an unlikely voice of reason.

I love the line; 'I have come to recognise that what is actually happening is that the “new” policy solution is a remedy for the mistakes of the “old” policy solution' - bang on! Mr Maharey, are you listening? And then a complete refusal to hide behind statistics and cry injustice. The only problem is that she has been happy to do that in the past.

Encouraging sounds though - me thinks they may be around for some time. And I am actually quite happy about it.