Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

It is NOT just me!

Here is a letter from this mornings Metro - it appears that I am not alone when it comes to this pet loathing! Reproduced word for word - as I could not have possibly put it better.
LOVE AND HAITCH:For years, I've silently suffered those people who believe that the letter 'h' is enunciated as 'haitch' even though the English dictionary describes the letter as 'aitch'. But when I recently heard an announcer suggesting that a programme was available on 'Haitch D', I snapped. When did this appaling habit start? I was taught at school that the letter was as per the dictionary's version. Surely the circles of academia didn't decide to throw good diction to the four cardinal winds of heaven and encourage the further demise of the English language?

Barry, Essex
Barry - sir, I salute you.