Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Mr Topper

Thinking that it would be unseemly to spary my hair around someone else's bathroom - I decided to head down to the local barber to get the standard number one. I went down to Camden Town and found "Mr Topper" - £6 seemed reasonable - so I headed inside.

There was an old man hunched over in a chair near the entrance - very nice of Mr Topper to let him in out of the cold I thought. I went to sit down and the old man stirred, with a tired and rather limp wave of his arm he indicated that I had missed my mark and directed me to 'the chair'. Ye gods, this was Mr Topper.

'Number one thanks' I said, 'I'll give you a half' he replied. Fair enough - by that stage he had clippers in hand and I was not about to argue. He proceeded with one shaking hand holding my head - I wasn't sure whether this was for my benefit or his. Then I had to slide down in the chair so he could reach the top of my head.

All had gone without incident and I was looking forward to beating a hasty retreat when he drew what I had hoped was a comb. Not so lucky, he flicked open an old fashion shaving blade. 'Hold still' he advised... In two words was uttered the most redundant sentence of all time.