Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Friday, April 29, 2005

The other men in coats

Before I came here, people went out of their way to emphasise the extent of the English pub and boozy culture. Interestingly, the words - "you will absolutely love it" tended to follow immediately after. To date they were absolutely correct on both fronts.

However there is a flipside. I don't know if it is just Camden or not, but London can't (or makes no attempt to) hide its reckage. There are so many people men that are so clearly shot to ribbons that it is actually really quite depressing and sad. They are everywhere, roaming the streets, Tenants in hand, completely invisible and irrelevant to the busy passers by.

It does make you think where that line is and what could push you over it. A job loss, a relationship break up, a death of someone close - I don't know - buy there for the grace of God go I.

I also hope I don't become desensitised to this sort of thing through over exposure, that would be sad as well.