Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Friday, October 21, 2005

Hello's - Goodbye's

For some reason I have always ended up getting close to people I work with (notoriously at times - but that's not what I am talking about!). It's not a deliberate ploy or 'management technique' - it is purely a result of being extremely focused on what I do - and if I pick up that focus in others - we tend to connect.

So it was very cool to hook up with one of my nearest and dearest from Hudson NZ on Wednesday night. I had dinner with Di and a few other ex Hudson types at ULI, it was great fun. Di has never travelled in her 60 years and is making up for it in short order - heading here, there and everywhere for a couple of months. When I saw her she was completely overwhelmed - by everything. The tears turned to smiles pretty quickly and the 'how's x?, how's y?, who is preggers?' conversations started in earnest. It was great to catch up - but it did make me realise how much I missed a dozen or so people from Hudson NZ that were more than just colleagues and friends.

The flipside of all that is you have to go through the seperation before enjoying the reunion...

Last night I had a leaving do for a girl who went to hell and back with me during the payroll project we have just finished. Payroll projects always involve an element of hell, but in this project, Emma was good, very good. And, in my humble, we worked together brilliantly. This was my first project to deliver at THG, naturally, I cared and worked damned hard. But this was E's baby, she cared more, worked harder and kept smiling.

When I meet someone like that I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve work wise. I probably say more than I should, and then - the conversation starts to evolve to include personal stuff - feelings - frustrations - experiences.

At E's leaving do it was a real 'goodbye moment'. With someone that I had only known for 3 months or so. I did think it was a bit weird that I could care so much after such a short time, but then, I am all or nothing with people.

Some people that only know me in a work sense would say that I am detached, or even supercilious. I dont mean to be. The tears from Di on Wednesday and E last night were are nice reminder that I am not all bad!

I have said many times that it was being at Dad's leaving do from GCS that made me want to get into this business. I saw the people crying and heard their words, I remember thinking so clearly - I want to earn that sort of emotional response from others. Whenever I have one of those 'moments' at work - I do have a smile to myself.

Dad - me thinks I'm getting there.