Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

And you call yourself a New Zealander!?!?!

Wikipedia is one of the best resources I have ever seen, it has everything - and when you are not into books and you spend a couple of hours a day on the tubes - it is a geeks best friend.

A recent search did get me thinking. Before I started printing the days reading material, I knew that Henry the 8th founded the Church of England (and was a fat sweating mound of sexually overactive bad image material with a penchant for lopping his wifes head off) - yet I had no idea that the original name of NZ was 'Staten Landt' (courtesy of one Abel Tasman and later translated to the more widely recognised 'Nova Zeelandia').

The teaching of NZ history in schools was virtually non existent when I was a tyke - and I don't think much has changed. So now, dear reader, you get to take a journey with me!

Kiwilog will now offer sporadic shavings of NZ history! In my opinion, if you can not answer the question below - you need to get reading (and, in order to my bit for nation building, I am happy to provide the material!):
In what year did Jimmy Cook first visit New Zealand?
Answer tomorrow.