Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Losing time

I don't quite know how it has happened, but I have lost 4 minutes a day. In Parnell I had my morning routine steady at 21 minutes from bed to door. That has blown out to 25 minutes here and I can't understand why (even allowing for an extra 6 yards from bedroom to bathroom).

So here is the breakdown:

6.40 - Alarm goes off, snooze.

6.49 - Alarm 2, snooze 2.

6.58 - Feet hit the floor, proceed to kitchen, jug on - coffee in cup.

7.00 - Shave, turn shower on, return to kitchen and pour coffee add milk and place in bedroom.

7.06 - Enter shower, brush teeth, apply roll on, after shave balm, deoderant spray, after shave.

7.14 - Return to bedroom, dress - boxers, socks (flexible about which foot first), trousers, shoes (left foot first just seems to make sense), belt, shirt (lower 5 buttons done the night before), cuff links.

7.18 - Return to bathroom, check myself out (nod approvingly), on with the tie, check myself out 2 (nod knowingly).

7.20 - Bedroom, pick up laptop, don suit jacket. Phone left jacket pocket - wallet right. MP3 player right trouser pocket. Finish last third of coffee.

7.22 - Room check, pocket check. Leave.

7.23 - Out the door, lock front door, keys into laptop outer pocket. Proceed.

Granted there are three return journeys to the bathroom - but that totals 36 yards, which is a minute at best. I never did a full breakdown at home, so I can't pin point where exactly the blowout has occurred. But I will.

It will be a process of elimination, first suspect - the electric toothbrush. I intend to revert back to the traditional toothbrush for a week to see if that gives me my minutes back.