Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Monday, October 24, 2005

More commuter capers

Having previously lamented the inconsiderate buggers that insist on occupying 'the outside seat of two' recently, I thought it was only fair to do a thank you post to the many (mainly elderly) commuters that seem hell bent on giving me cause to have a wee chuckle most days.

I tend to stand on the bus (under the stairs to the top deck if you're ever looking for me), apart from the considerate thing to do, it also gives me the ability to have a good gander about the lower deck. Pretty much everyday I will watch a poor older woman board the bus - and proceed to be thrown at a chair as the bus storms off.

Then it is simply a matter of watching. Sometime later in the trip a tentative hand will stretch out and signal the maniac behind the wheel to kindly go from 40mph to zero in the space of 3 seconds (don't ever doubt the deceleration capabilities of a double-decker) at a designated point a little further up the road.

They will then proceed to organise their bags, check the hat, and place their hand on the seat in front of them with the bus still at full tilt. At this point I am shaking my head - thinking to myself - 'lady, don't do it...'

But, without fail, they do. Approximately 10 seconds from the next stop they will rise and get half way into the aisle. Bang on cue the driver stands on his brakes and said old lady is propelled up the bus into who/whatever is there to stop her - at pace.

I know - I shouldn't laugh, but it is one of those things that did give me an involuntary chuckle the first time I witnessed it, and now it is the sheer predictability (not to mention avoid-ability) of the whole episode that tickles me.

I'm a bad man I know - but if you are ever in London I will talk you through the show and see who’s having a chuckle then.