Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Work update

Kathryn started working for us yesterday, very cool. And like me, I think she was suitably blown away by what is in store... The good news is, that I am five months into my contract and I still have that 'buzzy' feeling.

One thing I did notice immediately yesterday was that in NZ, Kathryn and I worked together very closely, and then we got close personally. We always had a great working relationship at Hudson, and then we built the personal relationship from there. I don't ever remember thinking about 'how we got on' at work, or personally, at all back in NZ - it was just a given.

But here it seems different. Kathryn and I are as close as ever, K and M have basically baby-sitted me through the 'London induction'. Personally K and I talk like we always used to - and it's cool. But it is also the reverse to how we met. Now we are two people that are very close, have then become colleagues, and now have to learn to be colleagues AND friends again. [Dear god - that's all a bit dramatic - Ed]

I know there are married people working side by side the world over! But it is still a bit weird and will take some getting used to - particularly when it comes to decision time post disagreement! (It should be fine as long as we remember who's the boss! ;-) )

Anyhoo, I talked to Mark re my perm contract for next year and can happily report that pay rises are much much better in pounds! So it looks like 12 months minimum - probably closer to a few years the way things are going.

As excited and happy as I am with that - I can not wait to get home in December!