Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Somethings not right

I actually agree with something from the mouth of the king of the self important, minipulated and cynically reported statistical bollocks, Andy Knackstedt (LTNZ spokeman).
Drink-drivers will face a new "three strikes and you're out" law from Monday, when their cars will be taken from them for a third offence within four years.

Their cars will automatically be taken from them for 28 days until they pay all costs.

Even then, they will be unlikely to be back in their cars in a hurry, with a long driving ban likely at that point, Land Transport New Zealand (LTNZ) spokesman Andy Knackstedt said.

"Effectively it's recognising that we've got a problem with repeat drink-drivers and is putting new penalties and new steps to address that," he said.
About time. And before anyone cries 'hypocrisy', let me explain.

I was caught (fair and square - but bloody unluckily!) the day before my 20th birthday. If I had been a day older - I would have been under the limit. That is by the by - I have had my chance, learnt my lesson and now I am exceptionally careful if driving. I understand that someone might have three wines and just be over the limit once - that would be a mistake.

But drunk driving has is premedited (as well as hugely selfish) - repeat offenders should be dealt to - good job!

[Completely unrelated word of the day:

Main Entry: self-righ·teous
Pronunciation: -'rI-ch&s
Function: adjective
: convinced of one's own righteousness especially in contrast with the actions and beliefs of others : narrow-mindedly moralistic - Ed]