Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Come home, we beseech thee

I just got sent an email from a woman's group in New Zealand directing me to this article in the Sydney Morning Herald.
A girl's choice: dumb and dumber

By David Braithwaite
March 16, 2006 - 10:49AM
AdvertisementAdvertisement

A "man drought" in New Zealand is forcing its women into the arms of dumber, poorer partners.

A shortfall of men aged 20 to 49 in the Shaky Isles has sparked a wave of "marrying down" by desperate women, researchers say.
Later in the same article:
"On Friday nights I usually hang with my girlfriends and go into town, but there don't seem to be many boys around.

"The blokes that are around aren't up to standard - they're not the full package, they might have one thing out of 10."
I always knew my leaving would be keenly felt in certain circles - but I wasn't anticipating this. To the Single Woman of New Zealand League representative and others that emailed this emploring me to come home - a couple of points:

  1. Flattery is one thing - but to gush on about about the startling nature of my eyes - sight unseen - may well be accurate, but is a tad desperate.
  2. Threatening to marry Darryn from Stokes Valley if I dont come home straight away is not going to work. I hope you and Dazza have a lovely Shazza.
  3. To the rest of the single women in New Zealand, don't relinquish hope, just because it is England's turn now, doesn't mean I won't be back. Hang in there and stay single ladies.