Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Job done

After a few gentle prods from K, I started looking for a pad on Tuesday night. I arranged to see 2 studios near where I am now - they were coming in at a lazy 195 and 205 pounds. Hopes were realistic - but expecting something decent to say the least.

The first one was a room, bed in one corner - kitchen in the other. Laundry in a lock up outside. Oh my good god - just an unlucky start, surely?

Onto pad number 2. As we rattled our way up the dodgy lift I had an uneasy feeling, two steps out of the lift and 2 years of living in a hotel hell came flooding back. As open minded as ever - I decided that we have come this far, I might as well go through the front door. Seperate kitchen and laundry, nice. Good size cupboard - bonus (the fact that this is a bonus may illustrate just how dire things have become....) and then into the lounge. Reasonable size actually - I may have written this place off too early?

Hang on! Somethings missing. Sensing my unease - the agent proceeded to alay my fears - the bedroom wasn't missing - it simply had to be pulled out of the wall. FFS! I could not believe it. And people live in these things?!?!? And pay 205 quid. Incredulous, morose, disconsolate and starting to think about the best way to secure ones possessions when residing on a park bench - I left. As the master of understatement said to the cliche, things were not looking good.

The next night I had lined up a viewing of a dodgy studio in Camden Town - a knifes throw away from the prestigious murder mile. I rang the guy and he told me it had gone - but he had another. I hooked up with Snooky (not an alias - you can't make that up) and he walked me to a place on Haverstock Hill - right in the heart of Belsize Park, Darling. Belsize Park, Darling is one of those places that is always followed by Darling. A very good area indeed! And hence, I was expecting a semi detacthed shoe box conversion.

We arrived - which is essential to the rest of the story really. Had we not - there would be very little to relay.

The place had a seperate kitchen (with a couple of stools and breakfast bar!), a standard bathroom and a good size lounge. Hold the phone! I had been burnt like this before! 'What wall is it Snooky? Come on fella, I wasn't born in 1986.' Rather than pulling a bed from a wall - the Snookster opened a bloody door!!

Never has the sight of a bedroom pleased me more! But is was 230 quid - nigh on 700 of our NZ dollars. Bollocks. Doubt. Would this be a touch reckless, stupid and self indulgent?

Bloody oath it would - so I knocked him down to 210 and signed it up! Move in on the 27th May and am more than a touch excited. And relieved that I can now host anyone that chooses to come on over!

Off to watch FA Cup final with Boy - more tomoza.