Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Clucking Turkey

Hi all

After a bit of a hell day in Turkey we have had the last couple of days kicking back on the Greek Islands of Rhodes and, today, Santorini.

The Turks in Kusadasi were unbelievable - the minute we were off the bus one would grab you by the hand, start shaking with a vigour and a purpose most unbefitting a meeting of two strangers, and then ask you "where you from my friend?" 'New Zealand' I would mumble as I squirmed to regain exclusive rights to my hand. No chance.

Still gripping and shaking, and now back slapping and screaming "ah, All Blacks, kia ora! New Zealand! We love New Zealand!" At this moment friends, you have 'been got'. You are in the buggers shop and your wallet has somehow made it's way onto the counter. Unbelievable - even the eight year olds on point had their game plan sorted. After an hour or so you had no option but to be plain rude.

The advance of "shake my hand my friend" was rebuffed with mock indignation, withdrawl of said limb and a mummering of 'ewe, dirty'. I dislike being openly rude only slightly less than I like people in my face, a man can only be pushed so far.

The Greeks on the other hand are much more laid back. Bartering in some stores starts with a gentle shake of the store keeper to rouse them - must be the heat. 34 C or so today. Ma and I are about to have a cliff top lunch overlooking the sea - we decided that Santorini was the place that really justified shedding some serious Euro's and going in for some posh nosh. It really is spectacular.

Have hunger now, so will make my leave and think longingly of when I can't depart this clear skied hot house and return to the cold and the dark of London town once more...