Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Currying favour, not on your chapati!

There is a hell of a furore over here about some celebrity Indian actress (I could put her name, I won't, I don't care) being treated badly on reality TV's lowest ebb - Celebrity Big Brother. From the BBC:
News channels also showed clips of the allegedly racist remarks made against the actress by other celebrity housemates appearing in the show.

They referred to her as "the Indian", made fun of her accent and accused her of wanting to be more light-skinned.

One inhabitant of the Big Brother house said that Indians were so thin because they ate undercooked food, which made them ill.
One observation and an, albeit rather ignorant, medical opinion if you ask me. India's junior Foreign Minister disagreed:
"Surely such racist slurs have no place in civilised society?"
This issue did make me wonder whether it was wrong that we had a guy at school called 'Maori' though.

As for my crowning achievement of making 'Pooftah' an accepted and widely (more often than it was not) moniker for our Office Manager - I recant not a jot for he was a big gay homosexual who had run out of the closet, through the front door and down the garden path years prior and found the greeting rather amorous! Some would say a little too much so at times!

Storm, Tea Cup. But good job on the marketing front fellas - you must in hysteria induced hysterics!