Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Sad

When I check the papers from back home these days, I fear the morning that I check in and see the obituaries for David Lange coming in.

I suppose it is not unusual to 'feel things' when someone well known is unwell or dies. I remember when Eve van Grafhorst died - that had me in tears (granted - Holmes did his damndest to make sure).

I am sure Lady Di was a fabulous individual and all the other things that have been said about her, but to me she was a distant Princess caught up in a tragedy - I didn't make much of it to be honest.

But if it is David Lange's time comes while I am here, I will regret not been there to here the tributes. In terms of NZ political quotes, Muldoon's line about kiwi's heading to Australia raising the IQ of both countries is trumped only by Lange's "I can smell the uranium on your breath" quip during that Oxford address.

The mans class transcends politics.