Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Friday, August 19, 2005

A due sense of apprehension and dread

That is both one of my favourite sayings and exactly how I feel now. My first big project goes live this weekend. To say that am nervous is a bit like saying that Winston Peters doesn't mind a drink or two. But I am equally excited - I suppose that is why I do what I do.

Just kicking off the data conversion now, should be finished tonight for testing tomorrow. Then the fun starts on Monday - watching the reaction of the consultants as they bitch and moan their way through change. I haven't done the same sort of 'PR Job' that I would have back home, partly because I am new and unknown, but also because I just don't think it is the done thing here. The audience (consultants) are so dry I fear some of them might spontaneously combust.

There has been the usual complaints from the front office, 'I am a consultant - not an admin' (delivery adamant and indignant - response 'yawn'), 'it will take too long to load things', or my personal favourite, 'who will be doing this for me?' (queue, 'um - why do you think that it is you that is been trained?').

Deja voo really, coupled with the occassional strong urge to deja voodoo the odd prima donna! The back office folk are much more grounded types. They are just quietly, and quite sensibly packing themselves! First major payroll run isn't for a couple of weeks, so success or the unthinkable won't be known until then - and until then, mines a double.

It is going to be an interesting few days!!