Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Blogging and business don't mix

I have just finished a good post on how similar my current role is to my role back home, it quoted a press release from 1999 when my previous employer was acquired, and a quote from today's press release confirming that my current employer had just been acquired.

I swear to god - the press releases are almost identical. Not far off word for word (in fact I suspect a degree of plagarism). From a work perspective it is honestly funny - you Hudson folk will know what I am talking about. The internal announcement was 'business as usual...' - my first meeting was preparing for the inevietable (read - the exact opposite to business as usual).

I was having a quick look over the post and thought about the commercial sensitivity - so I got clever and replaced the names with Company A said Company B etc... and then read it again. After some further reflection I came to the conclusion that it was still too risky - should someone stumble across it - not good! Damn shame, because (IMHO) I thought the post itself was ;-). Purely for the ludicrousy of the deja voo factor.

But it is an interesting area - to what extent can I express my views? When it relates to my employer? What right do I have to mention others and / or personal relationships and circumstances here? This is something that confronts me fairly regularly, spice up the blog - but at what potential cost?

Sorry folks, I'm tending towards the safety first blog approach at this stage. I'll have to email you individually with details about the celeb I hooked up with last weekend.