Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Message to TVNZ and TV3

I got home quite early tonight - just before 7pm, and lo and behold I was able to tune in and catch the full news hour.

I have long thought that if either TVNZ or TV3 took a punt and screened their main evening news bulletin at 7pm, they migh be pleasantly surprised by the ratings. Am I dreaming?!?!

People that work in the city (news watchers) - 7pm suits nicely thank you.

People with young kids - 7pm kids are in bed, dinner is pending, lovely.

People that have a swifty on the way home, 7pm? Nice.

In the summer months, cook the barbie over a brew outside, come inside, news on telly - dead animal on plate. Seems a fairly natural fit.

So why is the 6pm news hour such a sacred cow?

(Oh, and it would put the final nail in the Shortland Street coffin - surely not a bad thing!)