Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Monday, February 20, 2006

And I'm still carrying sodding pennies!

It looks like NZ is moving yet another step ahead of the UK in matters retail. The five cent coin is on its way out:
SMALL CHANGE: The new coins will be smaller and the 10c piece a different colour.

NZ coins set to change in July
20 February 2006

New 50, 20 and 10 cent coins will be introduced around the country on July 31, the Reserve Bank announced today.

The new coins will retain the same design but will be smaller and lighter. The new 10c coin will be copper coloured.

Reserve Bank currency manager Brian Lang said there would be a transition period of three months, from July 31 to October 31 2006, during which time both old and new coins could be used.

"From November 1, 2006, you will not be able to use the old coins, including the 5c coin, but you will always be able to redeem them at the Reserve Bank," Mr Lang said.
For the life of me I can not understand why the Brits are so hell bent on hanging onto the bloody penny!

The thing that irks me most is that is slows down every retail transaction as the poor sod behind the counter either has to wait for 'that guy' to fumble round and find "96p, 97p - hang on, I know I have another one here, just in the side pocket, I'm sure it was there - ah - there it is, 98p - thank you". Or has to get the receipt and then go into the draw to retrieve your penny. (And do not try to walk away without collecting your penny - my god - that sets them right off, "Excuse me sir, EXCUSE ME, EXXXCCCUUSSSEE MEEE SIR – your penny" - embarrassing.

Too tired to start a anti-penny revolution, but if anyone else if in the mood, sign me up.