Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Thursday, June 02, 2005

There are many things I miss...

It has been a while since I did a 'top five' - so here is the first in what will probably become a regular type of thing.

The top five things I miss about home:

Family, obviously more than anything. All of them - but particularly the youngin's who can't email or call. Cody should be swearing superlatively (even in the absense of his uncle's influence!). Knowing Millie, she could well be eyeing up her first jnr boyfriend at play group. Tyler will no doubt be breaking things previously thought unbreakable. I can't even imagine the change in Lucca and Georgia - but I wish I was watching it happen. (Digital camera's and email are wonderful things Nick and Mike!).

People, lots of people. Naming names and forgetting anyone could lead to unintended insult - so I won't go there. But even though there are a lot of incredibly nice and generous people looking after me here - the 'familiarity' and 'knowing' that I had with many back home is missed greatly. (Thanks for the emails to all those that have sent them and not had replies, yet...)

BBQ's and Microwaves. Jaco once observed that my diet was either a dead animal over a flame, or microwave kai out of a box. He was right and now I have neither! Meal times are a bit of a challenge at the moment.

Driving. Sounds odd I suppose - but I do really miss loading up the red rocket with a bit of Chisel and going for a cruise. Window down, volume up feeling no shame at all.

The Top Five itself!! I don't mean the various people that drifted in and out of the rankings, more the quality of the analysis, argument and conflict during the selection process. We really did talk some dross, but into the third bottle it all seemed suitably scientific.

Shall do the best and worst of London next week.