Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

The Newcastle United Comedy Club

A nice quiet Wednesday night at home, just me, the cat, some fava beans and a nice chianti....

The treat for the evening was to be Newcastle v Man City on poor mans Sky (Sky News commentary - not the greatest - but it works). By 9.00pm and it was 2 - 0, chianti gone and I was actually angry - despondent would be more accurate. I went to bed - it finished a 3 - 0 trouncing.

It seems completely over the top, irrational and immature to be in a bad mood as a result of a football match (even if it was a gutless display by a disperate group over overpaid underacheiving spineless primadonna's) - but I am. What pisses me off is that it is happening now - 12,000 miles I have come after supporting these guys for 20 odd years, and what do I get? A bloody relugation battle!! Hardly the glorious weekend in Newcastle celebrating the first trophy in 60 odd years! Instead I am stuck reading reports like this:
As his under-performing side sunk to a new low in their calamitous campaign, Graeme Souness admitted last night that troubled Newcastle are now embroiled in a Premiership relegation battle.

"We will keep working hard because it's the only way I know," said Souness. But having been denied the chance to recruit a new defender by Shepherd last month, it seems he does not possess the personnel to engineer the dramatic improvement needed. The low spirits of his players are also a concern. They are not best pleased and they are obviously feeling very disappointed," he said. "They know what they have to do and I hope they will start to do it on Saturday.
To use the words of every travelling supporter at St James' Park this year, 'Newcastle - you're shit - and you know we are!' God I wish I could say, with any sort of conviction, that they are wrong.