Welcome to Kiwi Log - the musings of a displaced Kiwi experiencing the many delights of London, can't wait for the 'black snot'! I make no apologies to anyone that doesn't get the 'in jokes' - you should have gotten to know me better when you had the chance.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Jerusalem - Dad - and spirit

I am firmly entrenched at Kathryn and Mark's. Good to be here - and pleased to be on my own to be honest. At the moment I am watching 'The Proms' on the BBC - and they are doing history and background of the hymn 'Jerusalem'.

It is strange the things that tip you off. Listening to Jerusalem being played at The Proms, something I always said to Dad that I wanted us to do together - but sadly never got the chance to, tips me off like you would not believe.

I'm sitting here, belting it out, like I did hundreds of times at school. Thank god I am alone - I must look a right sight!

But I am here, a kind of happy/sad. Thinking. Remembering. Crying and smiling.
And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England’s mountains green?
And was the Holy Lamb of God
On England’s pleasant pastures seen?
And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!
I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England’s green and pleasant land.